Astro 'Pure Audio' Speaker

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fc5b5ad7b40>

A bluetooth speaker is pretty much an indispensable part of my (mobile) office now. I’ve had several, and also have a Sonos PLAY:1, but almost always use the wireless instead because it’s hooked up to my computer.

Treelabs sent me the new Astro speaker, (just funded on Kickstarter) so I’ve been comparing it between my fav oontZ Angle and the Sonos PLAY:1. I’m thoroughly impressed so far. It blows the oontZ away. It’s not in the same class as the Sonos, and definitely doesn’t have that deep bass, but the clarity over the Sonos is magnificent. Slightly disappointed it doesn’t have a headphone jack, but hand’s down the best I’ve had so far.

And I particularly LOVE the artwork on the one they sent. See image below.

I want one, now!

What’s with the 20 character minimum?

That minimum is only for you Jeff :smile:

I hadn’t heard the term ‘pure audio’ before–thought is was more a marketing gimmick. But it made sense when I cranked the volume. I usually can’t push the volume on these little desktop/bluetooth speakers, but this thing doesn’t even lose fidelity, snap or crackle at the highest volume. Love. it.

Isn’t Bluetooth the limiting factor when it comes to audio quality for these sorts of speakers?

I was under the impression you can’t control the compression being used by the Bluetooth, so it doesn’t really matter how good of a DAC you’re using.

Hey Alex, below is a comment on this from the founder, Alexis Corval. He goes into some more details on the audio design in the breakdown he gave us.

"Yes of course Bluetooth is one of the limiting factor and you cannot control the compression it uses. But saying that Bluetooth is THE limiting factor when it comes to audio quality is simply not correct.

I would invite you to compare Astro while it is connected via Bluetooth and also while it is connected via cable, you will be hard pressed to hear any difference even with the limitation of Bluetooth, and that’s because of the hardware on ASTRO.

If you take a bunch of Bluetooth speakers, you can tell that they all have a different audio quality (just like standard speakers), even though they all use the same Bluetooth compression (note: there are some difference between Bluetooth chips, but the best ones are used a lot by different speakers manufacturers), and that is due to their hardware.

Yes Bluetooth has it limitations compression wise, but we are talking about numbers here and what is important is what the listener is experiencing and if you do it right the listener will not be able to tell the difference."

Good info. - thanks for sharing!