Onshape Launching App Store, Coming Out of Beta

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fc5b67adc20>

Onshape is holding a press event webinar right now where they revealed that they will launch the Onshape App Store in Beta on Monday. They’re also coming out of Beta.

Beta results:

• 400,000 hours of user usage
  • Over 10,000 users
  • Over 150 countries
  • 4,000,000 features created
  • 390,000 CAD files imported/exported
  • 325,000 STL Files created

Interesting stats:

• 99.9% uptime; virtually zero crashes/data loss
  • 54% have used Onshape mobile
  • 2x as likely to use phone, but use Onshape 2x longer on tablet
  • 1 in 6 sessions occur on mobile

Onshape App Store

• Apps for Sim, CAM, rendering, content, and more
  • 24 partner apps with beta launch, more to come
  • Integrated Cloud, Connected Cloud, and Connected Desktop apps
  • Revenue split model for paid apps, varies with vendor, standard is 30/70.

Wait & see mode currently, so far it’s been a long wait. When I see the word “Free” I cringe, I tried working for free, it didn’t pay off

When it comes to Apps… Free means: Free access to In-App purchases… I hate that!

Ralph Grabowski breaks down details on the announcement here.

• 10,000 beta users of its software, with 390,000 CAD files imported and exported
  • 1 in 6 sessions are on the mobile version, Android and iOS, with 54% of paying users on mobile.
  • Uptime has been 9.9% and nearly zero crashes, so some downtime and some crashes resulting in work loss. “We are the only CAD system working over a network of cloud servers” – a dig at Autodesk’s repeated claim that Fusion 360 is, which it is not.
  • As Onshape leaves beta, the app store goes into beta, and so access is limited initially.

Or in the case of CAD Apps, you need to own or have a subscription to the other software. Like in the case of the KeyShot plugin. The plugin is free, but you need to own KeyShot.