SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f195af09e00>

I’m sure most of you have heard that Workgroup is going away and being replaced by PDM Standard. Each seat of SW 2016 will include a Editor seat of PDM Standard. I doubt anyone has gotten up and running with it yet but I have been looking closely at it. It is basically EPDM (PDM Professional) with some limitations. To me the main limitations are:

• 1 Workflow
  • 10 Workflow States
  • SQL Express instead of SQL Standard
  • No Email notifications
  • No API, Add-Ins or auto PDF generation

I’m curious if anyone else has any thoughts about the various limitations. I know the migration from Workgroup to PDM Standard will be significant and viewer licenses will be priced similarly to EPDM Viewer licenses from what I understand. Anything else that would prevent someone from moving from Workgroup to PDM Standard?

With regard to lack of auto PDF generation and API, I will mention that I am the founder of Flatter Files and over the years our most popular use case has become using it in conjunction with EPDM. Thus, adding support for PDM Standard was a top priority. Not having an API made it more difficult but I am happy to share that starting today Flatter Files does support integrating with PDM Standard. Here are a few details regarding the integration. In the most basic terms if you integrate Flatter Files with PDM Standard you will have auto PDF generation, unlimited viewer access to your content on Flatter Files, and email notifications when new revisions are created. Not to mention all of the other Flatter Files features.

1 Like

So, I’m confused. How does this relate to Dassault’s 3DEXPERIENCE platform and the direction SolidWorks is going with the 3DX apps? Is PDM Standard another part of the transition to that platform?

1 Like

I don’t think it has anything to do with 3DX. I don’t know any companies that uses 3DX and yet I know there are thousands of companies using Workgroup PDM. I’m guessing this is all about providing a much improved product to those companies without having to do much additional work at all since it is just a limited version of EPDM. Moving forward it is even less work since they only have to support the single product. I’m sure ideally Workgroup users would move to 3DX but I’m sure they are realistic and realize that isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

1 Like

Mixed emotions… As an Admin I already find EPDM (SW PDM Pro) frustrating enough… so just thinking of something that has less functionality gives me shivers… But then I remember when I had Workgroup PDM, and I think PDM Standard would be totally better! Especially if you eventually think of jumping into Pro.

1 Like

As a Certified EPDM Admin I found EPDM to be a very complex and misused program. The “Workflow” is usually misused resulting in a complicated Revision control situation that no one wants to use, so they don’t & just Save files outside the Vault, very common.

Many users, including me, loved WorkGroup PDM because is was simple and worked well. WGPDM has Save As pdf! Heck I managed to get WorkGroup Certified for FDA document controls at a few medical device companies. IMO SOLIDWORKS suffers from feature bloat.

Cheers, Devon Sowell

1 Like

Just wanted to add a few things here regarding SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard.
SOLIDWOIRKS PDM Standard is included with SOLIDWORKS Professional and Premium just like Workgroup PDM is.
The workflow engine will allow companies to create very simple workflows, or slightly more complex ones. SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional (aka EPDM) does offer more automation capabilities and the possibility to create complex schemes. Either way it’s up to the customer to decide how complex they want their workflows to be. In addition, PDM Standard includes automatic notifications via the built in “Inbox” when things change which is a definite advantage over Workgroup PDM.
The pricing for PDM Standard Viewer licenses is identical to Workgroup PDM Viewer licenses and customers that currently have Workgroup Viewer licenses on subscription will receive PDM Standard Viewer licenses at no charge.

1 Like